|Full-Time PhD Student (Research and Teaching Assistant) in Environmental Technology – Ghent University Global Campus
Department: Centre for Environmental and Energy Research (KR01 – Department of Environmental Technology, Food Technology and Molecular Biotechnology, Ghent University Global Campus, Korea)
Degree: Master in Chemistry and/or Chemical Engineering
Contract: 1 year, followed by 1 year on the strict condition that the previous term was given a positive evaluation (based on (1) research proposal for PhD and (2) scientific progress), and followed by 2 times 2 years (again on condition that the previous term was given a positive evaluation); for a grand total of maximal 6 years.
Occupancy rate: 100%
Vacancy Type: Assistant Academic Staff (AAP)
Last application date: December 31, 2023 (Applicants are encouraged to apply immediately as the position will be filled upon finding the right candidate)
Starting date: February 1 2024 (negotiable)
Scientific Supervisor: Prof. dr. ir. Philippe M. Heynderickx (Philippe.Heynderickx@Ghent.ac.kr)
Ghent University Global Campus, South Korea, has a vacancy for a PhD Student (Research and Teaching Assistant) in Environmental Technology in the Center of Environmental and Energy Research (CEER) at Ghent University Global Campus, starting from February 1, 2024 (open to negotiation). The request(s) and standard(s) for the PhD in GUGC is equivalent to Ghent University home campus (the phd certificate will awared by Faculty of Bioscience Engineering, Ghent University, Belgium).
The terms of employment at GUGC are comparable to those at the campus in Ghent, Belgium. However, free student accommodation and a yearly travel budget are foreseen. GUGC is an equal opportunities employer. This position allows promising scientists to carry out research for a period of up to maximal 6 years, under the supervision of Professor Philippe M. Heynderickx at Ghent University Global Campus, Korea. In addition, he/she will also be assigned a co-promoter. PhD degree diploma will be from Ghent University, Belgium.
As a teaching assistant, the PhD candidate is supposed to spend (maximal) 50% of his/her time in teaching activities pertaining to undergraduate mathematics courses that include the topics Chemistry (organic/inorganic/green), Engineering and Environmental realted courses (Air Treatment, Water Treatment...). These activities include supervision of exercise/tutorial (wet/dry) sessions, preparing and grading tests/exams and the supervision of bachelor projects.
Apart from the teaching activities, the PhD candidate is supposed to perform research in the area of environmental technology (catalyst development, integration of catalysts for air/water purification, specifically in the area of modelling). In this regard, the candidate is expected to complete a doctoral research proposal containing a extensive literature review, a set of research objectives and research plan within the first six months of joining. This research proposal will need to be approved by the GUGC Campus Council in order to ensure renewal of the first contract with GUGC.
Job Qualification (Profile of the Candidate)
- Hold, or expect to hold, by December 31, 2023, an Master degree in one of the following disciplines: Chemistry or Chemical Engineering.
- Have solid and relevant lab experimental experiences in the aforementioned research area; have publication(s) in environmental science and technologies is a plus.
- Have an excellent command of English (e.g. a minimum score of 80 on the TOEFL iBT test or 6.5 IELTS test), and good academic writing and presentation skills – GUGC’s working medium is English, working fluenthy English is a must.
- Team spirit and inquisitive, self-motive attitude as well as independent learning/research ability are essential; can take leadership among team members.
- Assist his/her supervisor(s) in teaching undergraduate courses at Ghent University Global Campus, Korea (general chemistry, engineering).
- Conduct research in the area of Environmental Engineering Science related to environmental pollution mitigation via catalysis/photocatalysis and reactor design for air/water purifcation purposes.
- The detailed working plan will be explored upon the background and interests of the individual candidate (e.g. supporting national/international fellowship application, pursuing phd study, transfering technology for application and commercialization).
- To finalize the doctoral thesis (to obtain PhD an doctoral dgree) within the given period with good publications.
- To assist his/her supervisor(s) with tasks in ongoing and future R&D projects and research-led educations (e.g. Master/Bachelor/Highschool student(s) teaching activities).
- Scientific background and knowledge
- Working experiences
- Motivation letter (1-page)
- Full resume (CV), including at least 2 references’ contacts
- Copy of the certificates and transcripts for education
- Transcripts (overview of study results and ranking)
- Others (subjected to the supervisor’s requirement in the later stage)
The documents shall be merged into a single PDF file (< 10MB) and sent to
Philippe.Heynderickx@Ghent.ac.kr (Subject line: CEER_Application_Surname). Please kindly noted only the selected candidate(s) will be contacted for the next step.
Application Process and Interview
- Interviews (in-person or online) will take place in stages from the first available time.
- Applicants are encouraged to apply immediately as the position will be filled upon finding the right candidate.
For submission of your file and any inquiries, please contact us via e-mail: Philippe.Heynderickx@Ghent.ac.kr
- CV Screening -> Interview(s) (including oral evaluation and written evaluation) -> Internal committee (Prof. Philippe Heynderickx, Prof. Di Wu and (HR) Ms. Jungmin Suh) -> Approval -> Acceptance Notice to the candidate selected.
Compensation & Benefits for the candidate selected.
- Basic Term of the Contract
- 1 year-contract term (renewable upon committee’s evaluation, Max. 2 years for Research Associate, Max. 4 years for Research Assistant/PhD candidate)
- Two additional bonuses in June (92% of monthly salary) and December (100% of monthly salary)
- Housing unit or Housing Allowance
- Private Health Insurances
- Extensive annual paid leave and holidays
- Additional holiday from Christmas (December 25) to New Year (January 1).