Instructor of Biochemistry – Ghent University Global Campus
Last Application date : Jun 11, 2023 23:59
Anticipated starting date : August 1, 2023 (Negotiable)
Contract period : AY2023-2024 Semester 1 (Aug 2023 -February 2024)
Occupancy rate : Approximately 20 hours per month
About Ghent University Global Campus
Ghent University is one of the most important education and research institutions in the Low Countries. On a daily basis, over 9,000 staff members and 41,000 students implement its motto "Dare to Think". Ghent University's mission statement is characterized by qualitative education, internationally renowned research and a pluralistic social responsibility. As part of its further scientific development, Ghent University plans to recruit for its Ghent University Global Campus (GUGC) in Songdo (South Korea):
- Instructor Ghent University Global Campus, Joint section bachelor of science in Environmental Technology, Food Technology and Molecular Biotechnology.
The GHENT UNIVERSITY GLOBAL CAMPUS in Incheon, South Korea has a vacancy for an instructorship, starting from (August 2023 until at end of February 2024).
Biochemistry classes provide an understanding of the basic concepts of regulation of metabolic processes. The course describe the most important biochemical cycles and enzymatic processes and the regulation of these pathways in the physiological context of health-and-disease. This lecture is intended to give students a preliminary insight into bioenergetics and enzyme kinetics. The course exists of 50% theoretic lectures and 50% wet-lab practical courses. The practical courses are meant to help students to better understand the concepts of the theoretic lectures.
Refer to the course specification of the subject: https://studiekiezer.ugent.be/studiefiche/en/O000156/2022
1. Basic Qualifications
- Ph.D. in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, Biological Science, or equivalent.
- Proven written and oral communication skills in English. (C1 level)
- Ability to work independently and in a group atmosphere, and mentor undergraduates.
- Proven capacity to organize biochemistry classes including theoretical and practical courses
- You are didactically skilled to teach university students to develop academic competences
- Positively evaluated experience in provided academic lecturing
- Professionalization of education
- You are quality-oriented
- You take initiative
- You are a team player and collaborate with colleagues, students
- You like an international operational environment
- You are able to educate and train the teaching assistance that will participate in the practical courses that you will design and organize
- You are able to plan your practical courses both at the level of pre-semester preparation, as well as hands-on guidance during the semester for groups of up to 120 students.
- Applicants should hold a Ph.D. in Biochemistry or an equivalent degree in the related field.
- Applicants should have (co-)authored original research papers in international peer review journals in the broad field of Biochemistry in the last 5 year
- Local applicants with authorization to work in Republic of Korea, including F series visa holders are preferred.
Salary and benefits are complied with according to the regulations of Ghent University Global Campus.
Compensation: ≒100,000 KRW per hour (Paid Monthly)
(Can be adjusted according to the work experiences and other qualifications)
Gender and diversity
Ghent University conducts an equal opportunities policy and encourages everyone to apply.
After the final application date, all received applications will be sent to the faculty assessment committee assembled for
this vacancy. This committee will first evaluate the application files. Therefore, it will match all elements of the file
against the required expertise for the position in terms of education, research and scientific service. Based on this deliberation, relevant candidates will be shortlisted to be invited for further selection (interview, possible presentation or test lecture, …). Afterward, the committee will rank the suitable candidates and present this ranking to the Faculty Board.
How to Apply
All required documents must be submitted in English. The documents MUST BE MERGED INTO A SINGLE PDF file and sent to GUGCAcademicHR@ugent.be (subject line: Instructor of Biochemistry_last name.first name) at the latest on at 11 of Jun, 2023 11:59PM(CET).
The following documents should be attached:
- cover letter
- the professorial staff application form:
- copies of your doctoral degree
- career certificate
- educational plan that includes a view on how to organize practical courses
- research achievement
- Names of two references to contact
Pay attention: Applications sent in after the deadline will not be accepted.
For further course information regarding this vacancy, please contact Prof. Dr. Stefan Magez, Stefan.Magez@ghent.ac.kr.
For questions on employment work permits and visa, please contact GUGCAcademicHR@ugent.be, or Jungmin.Suh@ghent.ac.kr.