Doctoral Assistant (Postdoctoral Researcher)- Center for Food Chemistry and Technology-Ghent University Global Campus, Korea
Ghent University Global Campus
Ghent University Global Campus (GUGC) is an integrated campus of Ghent University, Belgium, and the first European university to be part of the Incheon Global Campus (IGC) in Incheon, South Korea. Ghent University Global Campus currently offers Bachelor of Science programs in Environmental Technology, Food Technology and Molecular Biotechnology. Ghent University is one of the top 100 universities in the world (ARWU ranking), and in the top 100 for the subjects Biological Sciences and Environmental Sciences (QS ranking).
Full-Time Postdoctoral Scholar-Ghent University Global Campus
Department: KR01 - Department of Environmental Technology, Food Technology and Molecular Biotechnology
· KR01 – Department of Environmental Technology, Food Technology and Molecular Biotechnology, Ghent University Global Campus, Korea
· LA07 – Department of Food safety and food quality, Ghent University, Belgium
Degree: PhD degree in one of the following disciplines: Food Science and Technology, Food Biotechnology, Biochemistry, or a related field.
Occupancy rate: 100%.
Vacancy type: Assistant Academic Personnel (AAP)
Contract: 1 year + 1 year extension (subject to positive evaluation of the previous 1 year term)
Occupancy rate: 100%
Vacancy Type: Assistant Academic Personnel (AAP)
Last application date: July 15, 2023 (Applicants are encouraged to apply immediately as the position will be filled upon finding the right candidate)
Starting date: September 1st, 2023 (negotiable)
Scientific supervisor: Prof. Dr. Mahta Mirzaei
Profile of the candidate
We are seeking a highly qualified candidate to join our team as a research scientist in food science and biotechnology. The ideal candidate will have a PhD degree or will be on track to receive their degree by August 2023 in food Science and Technology, Food Biotechnology, Biochemistry, or a related field.
The selected candidate will have a good publication record in food science and biotechnology, as well as significant knowledge of protein and peptide science. Practical laboratory experience in cell culture, as well as in silico and in vivo analyses, is desired.
As an independent researcher with strong self-learning abilities, you will be expected to demonstrate a creative and inquisitive attitude. A team player and a team leader, you will effectively mentor PhD students and a bachelor students, sharing your knowledge with the team and contributing to the institutional culture.
You are able to work effectively in a team environment and able to work collaboratively with colleagues, supervisors, and other group members.
- You design and perform high-quality scientific research on Multi-cellular simulation of gastrointestinal digestion to evaluate bioavailability of food-derived bioactive molecules.
- You assist the supervisor to (a) conduct research at the bioactive molecules. bioavailability, (b) develop new research lines, and (c) contribute to research-related activities (presenting results at conferences, organizing academic conferences, applying for research funding, and so on). The research workload is expected to be around 70% of available time.
- You publish your research results in peer-reviewed international journals and actively participate in (inter)national conferences.
- You assist the supervisor in the mentoring of Bachelor, and PhD students at Ghent University Global Campus. You assist in teaching occasional courses. The teaching workload is expected not to exceed 30%.
- Scientific background and knowledge
- Educational experience
- Strength of the provided research plan
- Highly motivated
- Motivation letter
- Full resume (CV), including at least 2 references
- Copy of degree certificates
- Research plan (Describe the research that you plan to do at GUGC in 1-2 pages, focusing on a concrete research hypothesis that can be investigated in 1+1 years, and include a brief but focused outline of tasks, methodology, … to achieve the objective).
- A link to your PhD thesis.
The application documents must be merged into a single PDF file and be sent via email to Prof. Mahta Mirzaei (Mahta.Mirzaei@ghent.ac.kr) (subject line: Postdoctoral Position in Food Science). Only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Application Process and Interview
- Interviews (in-person or online) will take place in stages from the first available time.
- Applicants are encouraged to apply immediately as the position will be filled upon finding the right candidate.
For inquiries, please contact us via email at Mahta.Mirzaei@ghent.ac.kr.
- CV Screening -> Interview -> Internal committee -> Approval -> Acceptance notice to the candidate selected.