PhD position/Full-time Teaching Assistant in Applied Medical Technology
Ghent University Global Campus
Ghent University Global Campus (GUGC) is an integrated campus of Ghent University, Belgium, and the first European university to be part of the Incheon Global Campus (IGC) in Incheon, South Korea. Ghent University Global Campus currently offers Bachelor of Science programs in Molecular Biotechnology, Environmental Technology, and Food Technology. Ghent University is one of the top 100 universities in the world (ARWU 74th , and in the Life Sciences subjects taught at GUGC, Ghent University ranks even higher.
Please visit the Ghent University Global Campus homepages to learn more about our organization: http://www.ugent.be/en and http://www.ghent.ac.kr.
Full-time Teaching Assistant - Ghent University Global Campus
- Department: Department of Environmental Technology, Food Technology and Molecular Biotechnology (KR01)
- Degree: Master degree in Science, Biotechnology or Bio-engineering, MSc thesis covering one of the fields: Bioinformatics, Immunology and Molecular Biology.
- Contract: 6 year contract (1 + 3+2)
- Occupancy rate: 100%
- Vacancy Type: Assistant Academic Staff
- Last application date: 30 April 2023 (Applicants are encouraged to apply immediately as the position will be filled when there is a right candidate)
- Starting date: 01 September, 2023 (negotiable)
Ghent University Global Campus, South Korea, has a vacancy for a full-time teaching assistant position, possibly leading to a PhD graduation in the area of Applied Medical Technology, starting from September 2023 (open to negotiation). It concerns a 6-year (maximum) full-time position.
The candidate will work under the supervision of Prof. Radwanska at the Center for Biomedical Research. The selected candidate is expected to teach undergraduate practical courses, as well as design and perform high-quality scientific research at Ghent University Global Campus, South Korea.
The PhD research topic will start focus on the functional application of IgMs in various active and passive vaccination approaches for infectious diseases, using trypanosomosis as a model. The project will focus on the functional role of IgMs against pathogens, as well as the immunological molecular pathways involved in the regulation of IgM –producing B cells. The topic will be heavily based on the use of both conventional immunological methods, such as flow cytometer analysis as well as scRNAseq and bulk RNA sequencing, to identify cell populations and mechanisms underlying infection associated pathologies. Bioinformatics data analysis in R will be crucial to the completion of the project. Knowledge of immunological pathways that govern host-parasite interactions is a prerequisite for this work.
Teaching Assistant tasks include:
Practical course support:
- Providing oversight for students during exercise sessions and practical courses of Immunology and Molecular Biology and providing support for the courses Animal Biology and Microbiology.
- Organization of exercise sessions and practical courses
- Support and supervision during examination sessions
- Execution of research center projects
- Support for laboratory experiments and facility
- Management of the laboratory stocks and inventories
- Master degree in Sciences, Biotechnology or Bio-engineering with MSc thesis covering one of the fields: Bioinformatics, Immunology, and Molecular Biology.
- Background knowledge of Immunology and host-parasite interactions. Knowledge of experimental trypanosome models will be considered to be an asset.
- Knowledge of scRNAseq technology and bioinformatics data processing pipelines and R will be considered as an advantage.
- Non-South Korean candidates must have at least 3 years of relevant work experience after the Master's degree (visa requirement Korean government).
- Strong English communication and presentation skills in both speaking and writing.
- Knowledge of the Korean language is an asset, as it will enable you to mediate communication with Korean companies, equipment/reagent providers, and outsourcing partners.
- Excellent service oriented mind and a pro-active attitude with the maturity to deal with stressful situations and a strong sense of responsibility.
- The ability to work independently, have strong self-learning ability, and maintain an excellent team spirit as well as strong working ethics.
- Willingness to work flexible working hours from time to time and participate in events outside of regular working hours can be required.
- Motivation letter and maximum 2 page research plan related to the advertised PhD topic and research conducted currently in the lab.
- Full resume (CV), including at least 3 references
- Copy of the BSc and MSc degrees
- Transcripts (overview of study results)
- A PDF version of the master’s thesis (on request)
Application Process and Interview
- Interviews will take place in stages from the first available time, possibly via Skype or Zoom.
- Applicants are encouraged to apply immediately as the position will be filled upon finding the right candidate
- CV Screening -> Interview -> Internal committee -> Approval -> Acceptance notice to the selected candidate.
- Basic Term of the Contract- Initial 1 year-contract term (with possible extensions after positive evaluations in every end of the contract terms)
- Salary- Starts from Annual Base Salary of 26,500,000 KRW (Monthly Salary of 2,208,333, Gross)
- Bonuses- Additional two bonuses in June (92% of monthly salary) and December (100% monthly salary) on a pro-rata basis.
- Housing unit or Housing Allowance
- If the selected candidate is a permanent resident holder or has a Korean nationality, the housing unit shall not be provided by IGC, but the Housing Allowance of 725,000 KRW monthly.
- Two round-tickets to Hometown (For foreigners only)- The selected candidate with foreign nationality, shall have two round-tickets to Home town per year (up to 4,000,000 KRW)
- Severance- Severance shall be paid when the contract ends and if the candidate works more than one year.
- Private Health Insurances- Marsh private health insurance provided, including basic medical reimbursements
- Extensive annual paid leave and holidays
- Additional holiday from Christmas (Dec 25) to New Year (Jan 1).